Now that you have a landing page set up to collect leads, you need to build a lead nurturing campaign to develop those leads. You want to escort them through the sales cycle to late in the sales cycle. This makes it more likely that your leads will turn into customers.
A lead nurturing campaign is a strategic series of emails that your leads automatically receive after filling out a form on your landing page, or leads that you've imported into your Leads tool (made possible with inbound marketing software such as HubSpot).
Because each form is tied to a specific offer, you can target these emails to the interests of your leads.
Understand Your Buying Cycle
The most critical step when developing your lead nurturing is reviewing all of your current web-based offers and determine which offers fit into the top of the sales funnel, middle of the sales funnel and bottom of the sales funnel.
Your offers for each stage should answer the prospects’ questions:
- Top of the funnel: “What do I need?” - tip sheets, checklists, eBooks, whitepapers, guides, product specs
- Middle of the funnel: “Why should I get it from you?” - webinars, fact sheets, consultations
- Bottom of the funnel: “Why should I buy now?” - free samples, free trials, demos, coupons or other promotions
The goal of each of your lead nurturing emails should be to guide your leads further along the buying cycle.
Writing the Email
Here are some best practices to follow when crafting your email:
- Keep it Short - Your email should be around 100 words and easy to read; the goal is to get them back to your website.
- Keep it Focused - Your email should be focused on one specific next step. Don't try to cram every offer into one email; it will just confuse your readers.
- Include a Call-to-Action (CTA) - Include a CTA for the next step that links to a landing page on your site. Increase click-through rates by having two links to this landing page, one at the beginning and one at the end of your email.
- Use Bullet Points - Make it easy for your readers to decide to click a CTA by including benefits of your next offer in bullet points.
- Personalize the Emails - Address the email to person’s first name and have it signed by a staff member.
Don’t forget to create a plain text version of the email if you are composing an HTML email. Not every has the same email preferences and settings.
Preview and Test Your Email
Before you hit “send” preview what your email looks like in both HTML and plain text. If possible, get a colleague to look it over as well since typos and small mistakes are easy to miss.
Measure Your Campaign Results
Wait a few weeks so you can get a solid sample size and then start measuring your results. Look at the click-through rate and unsubscribe rate for each email.
The click-through rate is the percentage of people who click on a link in your email. A good campaign has a click-through rate of at least 1.5%.
The unsubscribe rate the percentage of people who click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email (this link is required by law). A good campaign has an unsubscribe rate of less than 5%.
Nurturing your leads is proven way to build up your customer base and using inbound marketing software like HubSpot makes the process smooth and efficient. Get in touch with us for more details! We’re here to help you blast past your sales goals!